When I set up this blog on the production server, I thought I was going to be able to eliminate some of the database bloat by removing all of the default themes and installing my custom theme before running the install. My theme has some code in the functions.php file that removes all of the admin dashboard feeds. It didn’t work. WordPress expects there to be an activated theme, and isn’t smart enough to use the only one there is in the themes directory. I probably could have accessed the database and changed the theme before doing the install, but I’m not sure I would have achieved what I set out to do.
For as long as I’ve been working on websites that require MySQL databases, I’ve been working with phpMyAdmin. It does what I need it to do, and I probably only use a quarter of what it offers. I had noticed a year or two ago that the new version of phpMyAdmin was quite a bit different than what I was used to, and had resisted adopting the new version for as long as possible. Unfortunately, I’m now using the dreadful version 3.5.7.
As I work with applications that use a MySQL database, I have various ways to check my actual queries, but MySQL makes it really easy to log queries and slow queries. Since my dev machine is 64-bit Windows 7, and I’m running XAMPP 1.8.0, I just needed to add a few lines to MySQL’s my.ini file, and turn the query logging on in phpMyAdmin.
UPDATE: Since adding XAMPP 1.8.3, slight changes have been necessary. See details at end of post.